Ewan's Blog - Councillor Ewan Aitken

Sunday, April 29, 2007

Day 24

The day begins with the official opening of the new council offices. Its Princess Anne that's been invited to do the unveiling of the plaque. I have to swallow my republican views, shake her hand and welcome her to the building. Its part of the job and so needs to be done properly but its still a bit strange to be in that situation.The last Full Council is a strange affair. In amongst the end of term feeling is the Meadowbank controversy. I have proposed a motion that I think goes at least some way to meeting the aspirations of the protesters who come on a delegation, (and present themselves really well, I have to say, clear and focused). By working with the other parties and accepting parts of their amendments, I manage to create something that has all party support. ( are we all trying hard to practice for coalitions, I wonder?). It creates a working group with local representation and an independent convener at look at the whole issue and report back. I am unsure of the response of the protesters to there being no debate. I am pleased to get all party support but in some ways I would liked to have been able to make a couple of points. I am still getting e-mails suggesting that I am not wanting any sports facilities built at meadowbank which was never the case and some folk are suggesting that what I was bringing to the Council presupposed the demolition of Meadowbank which was simply not true. It may be their interpretation of my words but having written the motion I know what I meant, that having decided on the sporting requirements, the group should then look at how to best deliver them, and if that meant a refurbished Meadowbank then that would be fine. I know I can’t control how people interpret things but its a pain when it is so far from what I intended.