Ewan's Blog - Councillor Ewan Aitken

Friday, April 20, 2007

Day 17

Front page again. This time for my motion on Meadowbank. As ever, by doing what those who didn’t like what was being suggested because they weren’t consulted is portrayed as a u turn rather than as listening but perhaps I can’t expect anything else. My own view is that we should try to make sure we can have a track and training facilities for athletics. Even though we had promised to provide facilities already for 94% of the present users, that was not enough and we need to do more. However, it will be for the working group to offer suggestions as to what that “more” is. I manage also to write a 10 minute speech for and do another hustings, this time on regeneration, have lunch with the retiring Chief constable, organise another leaflet for getting out on Saturday, sign a new considerate contractor agreement with 8 utilities, do two newspaper interviews and a press release for another event. In amongst this I take a call from a constituent whose is in tears. She is a victim of domestic violence and her situation is unbearable. Her tears and her words remind me why I do this and for whom. She has to be the reason or there is no reason.