Ewan's Blog - Councillor Ewan Aitken

Friday, April 20, 2007

Day 16

The hustings are front page news which is a bit bizarre but it make a nice change that Council elections are to the fore in the media.That being said, the national elections aren’t t really front page news either. The radio stations won’t interview politicians for fear of being accuse of bias, the telly has it all at fourth or fifth story and usually council elections are relegated to a paragraph or two. Having said that, it transpires I was on newsnight last night over my remarks in a speech two years ago over the naming and shaming of under 16 kids who commit anti social behaviour. How weird is that to be the main item in a news programme and not to know you are on. Clearly if I want to get more coverage I need to disagree with my own party more often, but then that becomes the issue and not the subject itself, so its not really coverage.My surgery tonight was packed. 12 cases. 10 of them new ones. Everyone very friendly, just wanting the ordinary problems sorted and not one mentioned the election.