Ewan's Blog - Councillor Ewan Aitken

Thursday, April 12, 2007

Day 8

It felt like today was the day the campaign kicked off. Perhaps it was the launch of the Labour Manifesto which, amongst many good news stories, recognised my campaign for Edinburgh to have real capital city status, (page 100) or being interviewed by the Evening News for their “meet the local leaders” series or the two hours I spent counting leaflets into 10s and 50s for the next run! Who knows but certainly it feels like it’s really begun to hot up.

I spoke with our national organisers today. This will be a campaign won and lost on local issues and our local candidate’s ability to remind folk of what has been achieved with a Labour led council.

I would give you a list myself but it was much better articulated by a man I met at the International Science festival event I attended in the evening. He was not, I have to confess, some-one I thought would be a supporter but he strode up to me and said “I’m voting for you lot. My kids are going to be in a new school, I drive past another three new schools on my way to work, we’ve got the best bus service in the country and this city is just the best place to live in Britain. You must have done something right in the last 20 years”. I couldn’t have put it better myself.

The event I was at was a brilliant talk by Professor Marcus du Sautoy on the wonder of the never ending (prime) numbers. It was the most unmaths like maths lecture I have ever heard. Brilliant! I just hope our votes also come in never ending numbers too!