Ewan's Blog - Councillor Ewan Aitken

Sunday, April 08, 2007

Day 5

Easter Saturday. For the Christian community a time for reflection and prayer between the crucifixion and the resurrection. So despite the fact its probably the biggest weekend for campaigning I didn’t do any today. Instead I went to my local church for a service and then to the Easter play in the gardens (Princes Street). A crowd of over 4000 turned out in the sunshine to see the re-enacting of the gospel story of Jesus' adult life, death and resurrection. Its a bit of a risk not campaigning. Its not through some idea that campaigning would be wrong over Easter. Its simply for me, as I try to live out my faith in a world of politics, I need to make the space to remind myself what's really important and why I do what I do at an otherwise hugely pressured time. And the “joy” of mobile phones meant I wasn’t entirely removed from hearing what others were up to, questions they had and decisions they needed taken immediately whilst I watched scenes from 1st century Palestine re-enacted in Princes Street!.