Ewan's Blog - Councillor Ewan Aitken

Wednesday, April 04, 2007

I thought I would change the style of my blog for the next 30 days in the run-up to the election.

Instead of reflecting on particular subjects over the previous week I will try to give a flavour of how the campaign is going each day.

Day 1

A final proof text of my next leaflet throws up three errors. This is despite several drafts and at least 5 different people looking it over up to now. Still, I caught them in time which is a relief.

The thought of another 12.500 to get out however, fills me with trepidation. Every candidate brings their own wee team which always helps to boost the numbers of supporters. One of the consequences of the PR voting system is that we are only standing 24 candidates instead of 58. That’s 34 fewer wee teams to cover the same ground. No wonder the job seems so much bigger.

I seem to spend much of the say on the phone preparing for the next few weeks. No matter how many times its agreed for something to happen, it seems I have the need to check up its happened!

I managed to fit in a speech at the opening of the Rock Trust’s (http://www.rocktrust.org/) “Underground” facility for young homeless and potential homeless. It’s a brilliant project that copings with some of the most vulnerable in the city.

In the evening I was at the science festival launch having done the presentation of the Science festivals “Edinburgh Medal” the previous evening to do the opening speech. Its all exciting stuff but it won’t get me elected locally, so stair wells, door entries and dogs behind the letterbox here I come.