Ewan's Blog - Councillor Ewan Aitken

Friday, April 06, 2007

Day 3

Began the day with meetings about how we cope with bin collections over holidays. I remember being told once that Jacques Chirac made his political career by reorganising the bin collections in Paris. I don’t know if thats true but no matter the solutions offered there always seems to be another problem to overcome. This one will run and run.
Spent much of the day doing personal letters to specific groups of potential voters. I would much prefer to be out and about meeting people but I am told that this is much more efficient. I don’t know if that means meeting me is more off putting or just that we can cover more bases this way with a similar return rate. I decided not to ask!
More campaign meetings to plan interspersed with a meeting with a developer who has a very controversial proposal. I tell him so and that I don’t think that it will be acceptable. I do want to be open to new ideas but lines also have to be drawn. Despite suggestions otherwise, I don’t believe in change for change sake.
Back out knocking door to door this evening in an area that might be assumed to be not our natural territory yet the response is generally good. Having said that, there are some folk who chose us the last time who are clearly scunnered, mostly by a sense of feeling they are no longer important to us. On this showing however, this is still our election to loose rather than it being already sewn up by the Nats or anyone else.