Ewan's Blog - Councillor Ewan Aitken

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Day 19

Shifted a huge number of leaflets in various parts of the ward focusing on very local issues. Its quite overcast so we don’t see many folk in their gardens. I do get a haranguing by one chap about various local “inadequacies” as he put it, but after 10 minutes discussion he says well ok, I’ll consider supporting you after all. Of course, with PR, that could mean voting for me 11th! I see my first sign of opposition activity bar the SNP. Sadly its the BNP. I know we live in a democracy and that we value freedom of speech but there is a bit of me that wonders if the pain these chancers cause with their racist rubbish is worth the principle. Its particularly hurtful for my running mate Shami Khan who is of Pakistani origin. He shrugs it off but I can see its hurting him. However, Portobello High Street is full of stalls so the race has truly begun! Better response in the afternoon as the sun comes out and people are relaxing outdoors. One woman even offers to leaflet the street for me but given that she is the last but one house I have to politely decline, wishing I had started at her end an hour ago! Its during this work that I am first informed about the problems at Seafield sewage works. I have to stop being a local candidate and start being Council Leader again. Top priority is making sure we communicate the problem to as many folk as possible in the effected area as quickly as possible. I am briefed on the plan,.I ask questions, make comment and suggest changes. I am told that pumping the partially treated sewage directly into the sea is the “emergency plan”. I have to concentrate on the issue at hand but make a note to ask questions about that later. Because its the election period, the broadcast media don’t want politicians to interview but the newspapers do so I have to agree a statement . I decide to focus on public safety first. recriminations can come later. I finish the calls and turn to continue leafleting only to be stopped by a chap in is garden who wants to talk about dog fouling. Today it would seem all politics is about......