Ewan's Blog - Councillor Ewan Aitken

Sunday, April 29, 2007

Day 22

I seemed to spend much of the day dealing with sewage again. its a right scunner that we are getting the blame for something we did not control and only went into the front line about because those that should have, SEPA and Scottish Water, seemed to go to ground. I agree that we will call for an inquiry at the Council meeting. I also work on the motion on Meadowbank stadium. It is being portrayed by some as presupposing the closure of the stadium which I am clear it is not. If we conclude that ten facilities that should be delivered at Meadowbank can be best done so by the refurbishment of the present stadium than I am up for that. I want to make sure we do not loose three years work whilst responding to the legitimate concerns of those who feel excluded by our process so far but its a hard line to keep focuses on. Through out the day I work with the small team putting together the breakfast with Gordon Brown. Every time I think I have got it sussed, another wee detail seems to emerge that needs a decision. The most bizarre is getting a phone call to ask my height so we can get a lectern at the average for myself, Gordon Brown and Jack McConnell. I dash home with Chara on the bus and race back for the Labour group meeting, the last of the session. It is very upbeat. No-one is in any doubt of the task ahead but confidence is growing.