Ewan's Blog - Councillor Ewan Aitken

Friday, March 02, 2007

On being a citizen

I faced 180 5th and 6th years from Leith Academy this week as part of their citizenship programme. It was a tough audience. I had written a brief introduction (see below) and they had then put in questions.
The questions ranged from the personal (why did you leave the church to become a politician, I didn't I am just doing ministry in a different way), to the local (should the St James centre, a 1960’s monstrosity, be pulled down, answer yes..) ,to the ethical (what do I think about civil partnerships, I have conducted two blessings of same sex relationships and I would do the same again).
They also finally convinced me that the voting age should be reduced to 16. As one put it, its all very well saying some folk aren’t ready at 16 but there are a load of others who still aren’t ready at 30 or older! This lot certainly were and after an hour they had given me quite a grilling but it was real, grounded political debate, just as it should be.

Click here to see my address.