Ewan's Blog - Councillor Ewan Aitken

Thursday, March 01, 2007

Environmentalists check our manifesto

I took our manifesto to a group of environmentalists last week. They were robust in their response, supportive, but robust. We disagreed on whether or not there should be another Forth crossing, (I am of the view that, well thought through it could provide the opportunity to reduce car use, they want that achieved in other ways), but we agreed on a great deal.
They liked our commitment to challenge supermarkets to change their ways and to offer incentives to households to improve energy efficiency which we will be doing. I think they would like to see tougher targets on recycling ( I think 40% by 2009 is pretty tough but there you go) and whilst they liked our idea of a carbon off set trust, they were very clear that just planting more trees to salve your airborne conscience is in the chocolate fireguard category of usefulness. I had my eyes opened on that one I have to say. Beware gift horses and easy solutions to difficult problems.

Labels: ,