Ewan's Blog - Councillor Ewan Aitken

Monday, February 12, 2007

The Reading Champion

One of the things I really enjoy about being a parent is reading to my kids. I have no doubt that they would tell you that I don’t do it enough as I am “always out at a meeting” but when I get to do it, its brilliant. For many young people, especially those in care, reading has sadly become something to be avoided. I came across a project called the Reading Champion we’ve started which I hope will change this a wee bit anyway. The Reading Champion project employs a Project Worker to carry out reader development work with care staff, Library staff and looked after children and young people, using multi media collections in the centres as the main resource for reader development activity. The project aims to improve long term opportunities to access books, reading and library services for approximately 150 looked after children and young people, care staff and others with limited access to books and reading.The long term aim of the project is to effect a ‘cultural change’ which will see staff promoting reading activity as a normal activity in the centres. The project is funded by the Paul Hamlyn Foundation for 30 months with match funds from the City of Edinburgh Council Children and Families and Culture and Leisure departments

Labels: