Ewan's Blog - Councillor Ewan Aitken

Sunday, December 24, 2006

A Thought for Christmas

I believe in the idea that Jesus was the child of God, a wee vunerable wean coming to live a life that spoke of Gods undefeatable love, beginning his existance as a homeless asylum seeker and ending it on a criminals cross, betrayed by his closest friends, his mothers tears at his feet and with the powerful, smug in their sense of self preservation. Even if you think those words are meaningless, think of this. Imagine a world where we listened to those who were often unheard and learnt from their experience, loved those we struggled to love and forgave those who hurt us rather than hurtiing them back. That seems impossible, idealistic, naive even. But I would rather believe that such things were possible and achieveable than to give up on humanity and say that we are all beyond such loving living. Because if I give up and say we will never learn to lift up the poor, love our enemy and serve our friends I don’t just give up on others, I give up on myself and thats no way to live. So whatever you believe about the “wean in the manger”, just another baby or the son of God, I hope that you have a peaceful Christmas, a prosperous New Year and that you choose not to give up, on others and yourself. Go well.

Labels: , ,