Ewan's Blog - Councillor Ewan Aitken

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Blessing Civil Partnerships

I am very disappointed that 36 Presbyteries of the Church of Scotland have agreed with the motion sent to them by the General Assembly (the Church sovereign body) which would have allowed ministers to bless civil (ie same sex) partnerships without fear of prosecution. Only 6 voted in favour. I have conducted two services for gay couples both of which were moving celebrations of love, fidelity and commitment. For me this is not an debate about sexual preference but an issue of justice for one of the most excluded communities in society. I am absolutely clear that should the General Assembly ban ministers from blessing civil partnerships, if asked, I will ignore the ban. I fought to get back into the Church structures after I was excluded when I left the parish to go full time on the City council and I finally made it back in September of this year. Now I am wondering why I bothered!

Labels: ,