Ewan's Blog - Councillor Ewan Aitken

Friday, November 17, 2006

A wonderful result

I met a woman this morning at the bus stop whose wedding I conducted some years ago. She told me with great delight that she and her husband were now expecting a baby. She went on to say that it was the result of IVF treatment, a journey that had been very tough emotionally but what a wonderful result.

I am in awe of those who get up in the morning and think to themselves; “ Why don’t we try to help childless couples have the chance of being parents?”, and then go on and make it happen. What wonderful creativity.

Its achievements of that kind that I want to support and celebrate by obtaining Science City status for Edinburgh where 53% of all science research grants in Britain now come. Yet somehow we seem to be struggling to get pupils to study science or be science teachers because it’s seen (unfairly) as “boring” or only for “geeks”.
Maybe if I could bottle that womans smile when she told me her joyful news we would be able to inspire more folk to taking the science journey. Who knows what else might be achieved for individuals and for our nation?

Labels: ,