Ewan's Blog - Councillor Ewan Aitken

Monday, October 30, 2006

Parking fines in George Street

I was surprised and really angry when I discovered that Channel 4 used a made up figure to claim we collect more parking fines on George Street than any other city. They said it was £1.25m. The truth is closer to £625,000, a number we freely gave them and can justify completely. They include fines for folk who return late and, for 500 or so, for people parking in disabled bays, something I find particularly selfish.
Channel 4 made up their figure by rounding up to £60 every fine even though the vast majority of people paid £30. They said it was to create a "level playing field". What a lot of nonsense! It was to make the story sexy. If they wanted a level playing field they would have compared streets of the same length or streets with the same or similar numbers of parking bays (there are 260 in George Street our of 10,000 in the city).
This was irresponsible journalism that sadly questions the integrity of Channel Four whom I have held in high regard in the past. I intend to return to this subject once I have calmed down.