Ewan's Blog - Councillor Ewan Aitken

Thursday, October 19, 2006

Dog fouling - a major issue.

When I went into elected politics I expected, even wanted, to have to cope with many subjects but Dog fouling wasn’t high on my list. Yet its rapidly becoming right up there with social justice and the future of the economy!
I cannot understand why people let their dog’s foul not just pavements but football pitches, parks, verges, playgrounds and all the rest of it. It is a despicable, disgusting dis-respectful action and I despise it and those who don’t clean up after their dogs. . It’s like letting some one defecate in their front room. Public space is shared space and to ruin it like that is simply unacceptable. It’s about the most anti-social act I come across.
In my own ward I've increased the wardens, put in extra bins, run campaigns and introduced a barrow beat but still people wander along, let Rover dump in the street and walk away. It is individualism in the extreme and if anyone has an answer I’d like to know about it. One suggestion has been dog licences. Anyone got any others?