Ewan's Blog - Councillor Ewan Aitken

Monday, September 04, 2006

Standing up for Edinburgh

As soon as I was elected I made it clear that standing up for Edinburgh was my first priority.

Edinburgh is the most prosperous city outside London with a job for everyone who wants one and has the skills. That success hasn’t happened by accident. The Council has taken the lead over the years in bringing investment to the City. And we have to continue with that with investment in transport, in support for businesses of all sizes, in education and training, in things like the festivals that help give Edinburgh its reputation and quality of life.

Edinburgh creates wealth and it needs a fair share of that wealth back to turn into investment to keep our success going and bring its benefits to everyone.

Last year we lost £111m in business rates - 40% of what businesses pay. I have no problem with sharing our wealth but we are in danger of undermining the heart of our city’s and our nation’s prosperity if we pay out so much.

I’ve met with the Edinburgh Chamber of Commerce and I’m pleased to say they are with me on this.